Yesterday, on Tuesday, November 22, 2011, our trailer actually came to rest in its final destination! It came home!
It was nearly four weeks ago that we first brought our future temporary home out to our property, where it got stuck about a third of the way down our long lane. Then, after a failed attempt with a rented machine, a friend managed to pull it back to the home site with his truck. There it sat, just out of reach, until yesterday!
We have two neighbors with heavy equipment who both promised to come put the trailer in place as soon as it worked out. We’d rather pay them for their time than rent a huge machine for a whole day which would be more than what we need and quite expensive. Every time we thought it was going to happen, something came up to push it to a later date.
But yesterday morning a man in a huge John Deere tractor came, and within 35 minutes he had the trailer perfectly in place! Unbelievable! He backed it down into the pit we had dug, jiggled around a bit to get it just right, and it was done. Then it took less than an hour to get everything leveled satisfactorily. Fortunately the leveling we had done ahead of time in the hole made it fairly easy.
One sad thing: we had to cut down a beautiful little oak tree we really wanted to keep for early morning shade on the east side of the trailer, but it was just too much in the way. We’ll have to plant another one there.
One happy thing: we learned that our 45’ trailer is actually a 48’ trailer! We just got about 22 square feet of more living area than what we anticipated! We’d measured and marked exactly where each corner of the trailer was to fit, and it was too big! Consequently the place we had leveled for the jack was at the wrong place, which made the leveling job a little more complicated. But Silver Oak figured it out.
I was so happy, I had to shed a few tears. What a relief to finally have our “tiny house” in place. We gathered as a family to thank the Lord for this answer to prayer.
Now we have a few weeks of renovating and hooking up things like our water tanks for gravity fed running water, running pipes to the septic system, and hooking up to the battery bank for power and propane tanks for the stove and water heater. Today the girls and I got in there and did some serious cleaning. It hasn’t been used for a while, so it needed attention.
In the meantime a colony of wasps had set up camp inside the small air conditioner at one end of the trailer. They had been coming inside and we had to exterminate them. We used the non-toxic method: death by swats with the fly-swatter. By the time we were done, we had killed over 100 wasps (we counted)! But they had the last laugh.
As I finished up at the end of the day, I slipped off my shoes to enjoy the freshly mopped floor. Silver Oak was redoing something with the generator, so the temporary lighting inside the trailer went off momentarily. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my left foot. I had been stung! A remnant wasp had somehow been overlooked in the clean-up, and it decided to get revenge. Fortunately it doesn’t appear to be swelling too badly.
I’m just sooooooo happy to have our trailer installed!